Use these pumpkin journal prompts for kids to keep your student writing this fall and to encourage creative writing in the elementary years!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see full disclosure policy below.
It’s that time of year again! Get your kids in the Fall spirit with these creative pumpkin journal prompts. Writing is a great way to help children explore their thoughts and feelings, and what better way to do it than with some festive fun? These prompts are perfect for getting little ones excited about writing, and they might just surprise you with the things they come up with. Happy writing!
Pumpkin Journal Prompts for Kids
These fun and creative pumpkin-themed journal prompts are perfect for getting your kids in the mood to write! From stories to poetry, these prompts will help jumpstart your child’s creativity. Here are some of my favorites:
1. If you could turn into a pumpkin, what would your life be like?
2. What are some of your favorite things about Fall?
3. What would you do with a magic pumpkin that could grant you any wish?
4. Describe the perfect pumpkin pie. What kind of crust would it have? What flavors would be in the filling?
5. What is your favorite Halloween costume that you’ve ever worn?
6. Tell a story about a time when you went pumpkin picking or what you imagine a pumpkin patch would be like.
7. If you could have a pumpkin with a superpower, what would it be?
8. What is your favorite pumpkin flavored Fall food?
9. What do you think happens to pumpkins after they’re carved into jack-o’-lanterns?
10. What would you do if you found a real pumpkin head in your backyard?
11. Write a poem about pumpkins.
12. Draw a picture of your perfect Fall day for picking pumpkins.
13. Design a new kind of pumpkin carving pattern.
14. What do you think the world would be like if everyone had to wear pumpkin costumes all the time?
15. Have you ever eaten pumpkin seeds? What are they like? Describe them or describe how you think they would taste.
What is the point of journaling?
Writing is a great way to help children explore their thoughts and feelings, and what better way to do it than with some festive fun? These prompts are perfect for getting little ones excited about writing, and they might just surprise you with the things they come up with.
How can these prompts be used to help children explore their thoughts and feelings?
For children who have a hard time expressing their needs verbally or making decisions about things, keeping a journal of their thoughts is a great way to learn emotional organization and processing. Sometimes writing about an inanimate object, such as a pumpkin, is less scary and seems less intimidating than writing about a real situation.
What kinds of things might children surprise you with when they write about these prompts?
Using seasonal journal prompts may inspire a child’s creative side. You may see a previously reluctant writer choose to write and entire story. Writing about something as innocuous as pumpkins may also allow a child who is reluctant to communicate, find a way to come out of his or her shell. You may also find that writing will open the door to other creative outlets such as drawing or poetry.
Is the content appropriate for all ages?
Pumpkin content is completely appropriate for all ages. Pumpkins out of the context of Halloween do not have to be scary. They are a fall vegetable and can be characterized as such.
What are some tips for getting kids excited about writing?
You may be able to get even the most reluctant writer excited about journaling by trying a few of the following ideas:
- Letting a child pick out a new journal and pens
- Creating a special place for writing
- Providing creative prompt ideas like those above
- Join in the writing activity with your child and read each others work