Being a foster parent is not always easy, but it is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world. Learn to navigate the world of foster care more easily with these tips for foster parents covering everything from the foster care home study to setting up a foster care bedroom.
*This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure below.
When my husband and I were first certified as foster parents, we had no idea what to expect. Yes, we had completed the classes and training, but nothing could have prepared us for our first experiences as foster parents.
Please remember that each state has it’s own set of laws governing foster care and the children in the foster care system. When in doubt, always refer to the guidelines of your state and agency. However, there are some tips that can help you navigate foster care more smoothly.
Tips for Foster Parents
1. Before you begin the process of becoming a foster parent, be absolutely certain that you are committed to the process. Read and discuss this list of Things to Consider Before the Foster Care Home Study.
2. Prepare for your home study early. Use this Home Study Checklist for Foster Care and Adoption to make sure you are as prepared as possible.
Favorite Foster Mom T-Shirts
3. The Home Study process can be one of the slowest and most stressful steps in your foster care journey. Use these Seven Ways to Speed Up the Home Study Process.
4. Also, before beginning the process, think about this list of Foster Care System Pros and Cons.
Organization Resources for Foster Parents
5. Speed up one of the slowest steps of the home study process by knowing How to Gather Reference Letters for the Foster Care Home Study.
6. Be prepared for your monthly home safety check with this Monthly Home Safety Checklist for Foster Care.
7. Know how many foster children your home can be approved for with this list of Foster Care Bedroom Requirements.
8. Before you begin the home study process, review this list of Qualifications to be a Foster Parent.
9. Preparing Your Home for Foster Care is one of the most time consuming steps. Use this post to make sure you do it right the first time.
10. Most people worry about the foster care interview and home study. Know what to expect with this list of Foster Care Home Study Questions.
11. Learn what the foster care home study is all about with this post that talks you through what the home study writer is looking for and why they ask the specific questions they do.
12. Foster to adopt is the most popular method of adoption in the US. Learn all about Adoption Through Foster Care here.
Foster Care Bedrooms
13. Have a room ready for your first foster care placement with these Tips for Setting Up a Foster Care Bedroom.
14. Use these Space Saving Tips for Foster Care Bedrooms to be able to provide comfortable foster care in small living spaces.
15. Consider providing a “worry board” in your foster child’s bedroom. Make the most of this tool with How to Use a Worry Board in a Foster Care Bedroom.
Foster Care Bedroom Resources
Parenting Foster Children
“Fostering is a difficult job, one that leaves little time for rest, time with spouses, and time to recharge those inner batteries. For myself, there have been times in my life when it seems I had very little time alone with my wife, even spending five minutes alone talking about the events of the day, plans for the future, or challenges that some of the children in our home were facing. This alone can be exhausting, and can lead to burnout”
-Dr. John DeGarmo, The Dangers of Burnout.
16. Consistency and predictability are important for all children, especially those in foster care. Increase your chance for smoother days with How to Create a Schedule for a Foster Child.
17. Foster parenting is rewarding but it can also take an emotional toll on the foster parents. Use these ideas for Self Care for Foster Parents to care for yourself in the foster care process.
18. When you are looking for some fun time with your foster children, remember, Dollywood offers Free Dollywood Tickets for Foster Families.
19. Foster care can have a huge impact on even the strongest marriage. Practice these ideas for Marriage Care for Foster Parents.
20. Historically, foster children were required to attend public school. Recently, however, the answer to Can you homeschool a foster child has changed! Read more about it via this link!
21. Find the perfect gift to bless the foster parents you know. This list of over 30 gifts for foster parents will be helpful and appreciated in the foster care journey.
22. Foster parenting can also be an expensive endeavor. However, there are some discounts and even some free things available to foster parents. Find those here!
Free Foster Care and Adoption Facebook Group
Click here to join my facebook group for questions and answers about your foster care and adoption journey!