How to Use a Time Block Planner
Follow these steps to learn how to use a time block planner to be a mom and still accomplish your personal goals.
Moms wear so many hats that effective time management is absolutely key to making their days run smooth. Time blocking makes it easy to see your day and even your week in an organized manner.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see full disclosure policy below.
How to use a time block planner
Some moms think using a time block planner is difficult or overwhelming. Some who dislike planning may even think it is restrictive, but I have found it the best way to accomplish personal goals and still be present as a mom.
What is a time block planner?
A time block planner is a type of calendar or schedule that allows you to divide your day into manageable chunks of time. By allocating specific time blocks to each task, you can prioritize your goals, increase efficiency, and reduce distractions.
With a time block planner, you can say goodbye to the days of feeling overwhelmed and scattered, and hello to a more focused, intentional workday.
How to choose the right time block planner
Choosing the right time block planner involves understanding your individual needs, goals, and preferences. Some popular options include digital planners like Sunsama, Hourstack, Planway for Tello, or Google Calendar, which allow for easy collaboration and online access.
Others prefer paper planners like the Passion Planner or the Bullet Journal, which offer a more tangible, customizable experience. I prefer to make my own printable time blocking template to use over and over again.
Determine if you want to divide your days into 30 minute blocks or hour blocks and choose a planner that offers that option.
Whatever your preferred format, be sure to choose a planner that fits seamlessly into your life and makes it easy to achieve your goals.
Tips for setting up a time block planner
Once you’ve chosen your time block planner, it’s time to start setting it up for success. Before you start scheduling your time, take a few minutes to:
- Outline your goals. These can be monthly goals or even the big 90 day goals you are working on. It’s great to have them fresh on your mind when you plan your week.
- Do a weekly thought download or brain dump where you randomly list all of the thing you need to do this week on paper.
- allocate an amount of time, or number of blocks, to each task.
Write down the tasks that are most important to you, and think about how much time you realistically need to accomplish them. Once you have a clear understanding of your goals, you can start allocating time blocks to each task.
How to allocate time blocks to tasks
When allocating time blocks it is important to input your immovable items first. These are things that happen at the same time each week and cannot be rescheduled, for instance church, lessons, sports practice, etc.
Next, it’s important to prioritize those tasks that are most urgent and essential and place those in blocks next. For example, if you have a looming deadline, you may want to block out several hours to complete the task without interruption.
On the other hand, if you have ongoing projects that require regular attention, you may want to schedule smaller, consistent time blocks to ensure you make regular progress. Finally, remember to adjust your time blocks as needed based on actual progress and feedback from others.
How to build habits and stay on track with a time block planner
Building habits and staying on track with a time block planner takes a bit of discipline and focus, but is can be your greatest tool in avoiding procrastination. Here are a few ideas for getting started:
- Create an accountability system: Whether it’s a friend, coworker, or mentor, having someone to check in on your progress can be a powerful motivator.
- Take breaks: Scheduling regular breaks throughout the day can actually increase productivity and reduce burnout.
- Avoid multitasking: Focus on one task at a time to improve concentration and reduce distractions.
- Celebrate progress: Recognize your accomplishments along the way, whether it’s with a small treat or a day off.
Track progress and revise your plan
To get the most out of your time block planner, it’s important to track your progress, analyze results, and revise your plan accordingly. Here are a few best practices to keep in mind:
- Track the time spent on each task to identify areas for improvement and re-prioritization.
- Take time to reflect on your progress and make adjustments based on what’s working and what’s not.
A time block planner can be a game-changer for anyone, even moms, looking to boost productivity, reduce stress, and achieve their most important goals.
By choosing the right planner, setting clear goals, allocating time blocks, building habits, tracking progress, and adjusting as needed, you can take control of your time and achieve success like never before. Start today and see the results for yourself!
Free Facebook Group for Moms
Join my free facebook group for moms here and get:
- Daily accountability
- Weekly live topical discussions
- Special guest lives from authors, bloggers and moms in the trenches who talk about parenting, relationships, health and all topics mom related
- Printable resources
- Live podcast previews!
I am a huge fan of planning and this is something that I do as well – block batch my blogging tasks.
Thank you from your Vroom Vroom Team for sharing your links with us at SSPS. Please check back on Monday to see if your content has been featured.
Comments are closed.