Are you ready to have some fun with your family this holiday season? Here are some fun Christmas movie night ideas to guarantee a festive evening of fun with your loved ones. Use these and other fun Christmas Ideas for the Family to make sure you get the most joy out of this holiday season with your loved ones.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see full disclosure policy below.
Christmas Movie Night Ideas
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…which means it’s time to cozy up with some hot cocoa and watch your favorite holiday movies! If you’re looking for some fun ideas to make your movie night extra special, we’ve got you covered. Here are a few of our favorite Christmas movie night ideas:
Make it a family affair.
Gather the kids around the tree and cuddle up with blankets and pillows for a family-friendly movie night. Pop some popcorn and hand out holiday-themed snacks for an extra festive touch.
Pick a holiday movie theme.
Get in the holiday spirit with a themed movie marathon! Pick your favorite genre—Christmas classics, romantic comedies, or even claymation cartoons and spend the night watching all of your favorites back-to-back.
Make it a Christmas movie night party!
Invite friends and family over for a potluck dinner and movie night. Assign each guest to bring their favorite holiday dish and dessert, then sit back and enjoy the feast. Don’t forget the mistletoe!
Have a retro family Christmas movie night!
Pull out your hold family Christmas movies and have a night to watch them all! You might even dust off those old VHS tapes and take a trip down memory lane at your family’s past Christmases, or even watch old classic Christmas movies from your childhood.
See a Drive-in Christmas movie!
Movie night doesn’t have to mean staying at home—head to your local drive-in theater for a festive film under the stars! Drive-in’s that were so popular in the 70s are popping up all over the country again. Many of them will show popular Christmas movies during the holiday season.
What are the best movies for a Christmas movie night?
There are lots of great Christmas movies that are sure to help get you in the spirit of the season. Not sure what to watch? Here are some of our favorite holiday flicks that are sure to get you into the holiday spirit:
- Miracle on 34th Street- This 1947 classic tells the story of a department store Santa who claims to be the real Kris Kringle. But when he’s put on trial to prove his identity, everyone’s belief is put to the test. This heartwarming film is sure to become a family favorite.
- It’s a Wonderful Life- This 1946 Frank Capra film tells the story of George Bailey, a man who has given up on his dreams and is ready to end it all on Christmas Eve. But when an angel arrives to show him what life would be like if he had never been born, George realizes just how wonderful life really is. This film is a timeless classic that teaches us all to cherish every moment.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas- This 1965 animated special follows Charlie Brown as he tries to find the true meaning of Christmas. From picking out a tiny tree to hosting a disastrous holiday pageant, Charlie Brown teaches us all what it really means to celebrate the holidays. This film is perfect for kids and adults alike!
- Elf- This 2003 cult classic stars Will Ferrell as Buddy, a human who was raised at the North Pole by elves. But when he realizes he doesn’t fit in at the North Pole, Buddy set off for New York City in search of his father and his true identity. Along the way, Buddy brings his unique brand of holiday cheer to everyone he meets and learns that the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!
Where can you stream Christmas movies?
There are so many streaming services available and all of them are sure to have plenty of Christmas movies. The best idea is to pick the movies you want to watch, then make sure you subscribe to the streaming service that offers those particular movies. Some of the best, most economical, and easiest to use are:Join Amazon Prime – Watch Thousands of Movies & TV Shows Anytime – Start Free Trial Now
What do you wear for a Christmas movie night?
The most obvious thing to wear for a Christmas movie night is Family Christmas Pajamas, but you might also consider:
Christmas Movie Night Snacks
You can’t watch movies without snacks, and for a Christmas movie night, you will definitely need some Christmas worthy snacks. You could serve some or all of these:
- Traditional Christmas Candy
- Hot Cocoa Bar
- Christmas Cookie Exchange
- Christmas Appetizers
Christmas movie night is one of our favorite traditions so, grab some popcorn, snuggle up under a cozy blanket, and enjoy one (or all!) of these classics with your loved ones this holiday season! No matter how you choose to celebrate, we hope you have a merry little Christmas movie night!
More Christmas Posts
- Best Family Christmas Movies
- Planning a Christmas Budget
- Mindset Goals for the Holidays
- Four Gift Rule for Christmas – Free Printables
- Christmas Lights Displays with Kids